Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sweet Corn- It's coming out of our "ears"

Last weekend I took a visit to my parents' house to help them with some summer canning/freezing! I am D.E.T.E.R.M.I.N.E.D. to learn this dying art to keep my Mamma and Grand-mamma's recipes/traditions alive!

Among other things, one of our big undertakings was freezing sweet corn. We ended up having over 50 cups of sweet corn to freeze. When I arrived at their house, I was greeted by Dad in the garage, cutting corn off ears of corn in assembly line fashion, with the oldies cranked up so loud the neighbors could enjoy ;) ---I knew this was going to be a fun day. When I walked in the house, mom was right where I know I can always find her: in the kitchen, working away!

Every so often Dad would bring in another pan of fresh-cut corn for us to start preparing, and would make sure he was there to offer advise on a process he wasn't fooling anyone about knowing nothing about.

Mom and I took turns measuring out corn into pans, adding water, pickling salt, & sugar (about half of Grandma's recipe, because "we don't need that much sugar", according to Mom), blanching them, and dishing them out into freezer containers.


Turns out, the freezer containers we used were old containers my Grandma used to use, and still had a lot of her old labels stuck to the lids. The ones that were still stuck on, we left.
This was one of the labels that fell off, and was special/nostalgic, as it was from the last year she canned corn before she passed away. I felt like she was right there with us, overseeing our process. <3




No comments:

Post a Comment