Sunday, March 30, 2014

On Self Control...


Self-control---oh, this word. Webster’s defines self-control as (n): the ability to control oneself, in particular one’s emotions and desires or the expression of them in one’s behavior, esp. in difficult situations.

If it were only that easy. I’ve struggled for 29 years (well, I’m sure I didn’t put up too much of a fight during year one. HA!) with the ability to control myself, particularly in the arena of gluttony (the desire for excess – be it things, food, experiences, etc). The helpful advice we always hear is to exercise self-control. “So that’s the missing link”, I think. “I’ve just got to figure out how to get myself a big ‘ol dose of self-control and everything will be roses.”

However, I’m starting to realize just how doomed my quest for self-control is. I am a sinner with sinful desires and motives. I can’t control myself; I’ve proved it to myself a hundred times (this week alone!). I am doing a topical study on self-control, and the Lord is really opening my eyes to some things about the attainability of this valuable characteristic. What the Lord is teaching me is that self-control is far from what its name has always implied to me. I will always fail if I rely on my “self” to control myself. Self-control means that I am controlled – but by the grace and strength of Christ. Self-control is a GIFT. It is the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22). Verse 24 tells us  “Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires”. POWERFUL. So this is what it means to deny myself and take up my cross daily (Luke 9:23).

Verse 26 also convicted me: Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other… Guilty! I was just discussing this with some friends yesterday. Sinful inferiority complexes leave us striving to be like the world. But God teaches us NOT to desire the things of this earth. I encourage you to read 1John 2:15-16. Then, in Luke 9:25 The Lord tells us “What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self”? I need to keep mindful of this as I navigate through this journey of health. As I get closer to freedom in this area, it’s easy to run to things of the world for my happiness-however, I have to continually ask myself if my actions are God-honoring. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1Cor 10:31)  RIGHT THERE is the difference between worldly self-control and godly self-control.

“…the Christian way of self-control is NOT "Just say no!" The problem is with the word "just." You don't just say no. You say no in a certain way: You say no by faith in the superior power and pleasure of Christ. It is just as ruthless. And may be just as painful (as worldly self control). But the difference between worldly self-control and godly self-control is crucial. Who will get the glory for victory? That's the issue. Will we get the glory? Or will Christ get the glory? If we exercise self-control by faith in Christ's superior power and pleasure, Christ will get the glory.” http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/the-fierce-fruit-of-self-control
I encourage you to check it out the rest of this article by John Piper on his “Desiring God” blog. He has a lot of really insightful things to say about biblical self-control.


 ~~~~~~~~~~~


So what happens when I stop seeking Christ? I stop seeking his grace and strength for control. I start to ignore what God’s grace teaches me: to say “no” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age. (Titus 2:11-12) John Piper put it perfectly: “When we really see and believe what God is for us by grace through Jesus Christ, the power of wrong desires is broken. And that, my friends, is the freedom I am striving for: Freedom from wrong desires.”


source: http://liferearranged.com/2012/09/sunday-smiles-67/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=sunday-smiles-67


2 comments:

  1. I loved this. As we become masters of ourselves we can be who Christ knows we can be! This article is old but I thought it had some great quotes. https://www.lds.org/liahona/1978/07/self-control-the-kingly-virtue?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete