Sunday, August 26, 2012

Thrift store therapy { & a pregnant friend project!}

This weekend allowed for some quality time with one of my favorites digging through other people's junk at a few local thrift stores. Ever hear of "retail therapy"?

Well, my own personal version comes in the form of "Thrift Store Therapy".

Here are my {Fab Four} thrift store finds:

1.


Frames! It seemed like it was Christmas in {August} when it came to finding unique, ornate frames, perfect for spray painting. I am soon to start working on a headboard ledge project (we've scrapped the farm-house door headboard project, as the master bedroom decor seems a bit too modern for such a piece. Let me know if you're interested in an old door!)

We also found several large frames for a project Im working on with my good friend, Debbie, so STAY TUNED for full DIY details on that!

2.



These lamps were U.G.L.Y. They were originally in Mister's bachelor pad, the bases a rusty brown, and the shades, a plastic mosaic tile-work of corresponding poop browns. It was horrible. But, I fell in love with the scrolling legs of the lamp-bases, and don't you know it, I just HAD to turn it into a rehab. After painting the bases a Colonial Red to match our red accent wall, I decided that, in the interest in lighting, the brown plastic shades just could not be salvaged. I figured that somewhere down the line, I'd need to bite the bullet and pay full price for some matching small shades. THEN, these 1.99 Goodwill specials found me. They are in perfect condition, and fit the bases {like.a.glove}. Swear! It was meant to be.  And if you're wondering where the heck these are sitting? Well, for now, it's a secret. Its our current living room make-over project that Im dying to finish, but until it is, these lamps are all you get!

3.

I've found that watering cans are no cheap find, so when I found this big vintage yellow one, for only $3, my heart melted. This old metal can cannot WAIT for me to plant some succulents in it!

4.


Find of the summer! This may not look like much, but oversized pictures with very pronounced frames are hard to find on the cheap, even in thrift-o-land. So when my thrifting companion, Debbie, & I stumbled upon {this} for only 1.99, we were shocked. We actually stood and mulled it over for a minute trying to figure out what on earth we could do to this, both of us coming to the conclusion that we just didn't have any projects for it. Shame..

Enter, our pregnant friend Holly! Why do we love Holly? Holly is already nesting. What does that mean for a good friend who has to always have something to style and/or rehab? Endless projects! {Thank you Holly, you have NO idea what you're doing for my decorating addiction!}After re-arranging Holly's living room, and making re-decorating plans for the rest of her abode, a simple comment was all it took to leave me high-tailing it back to Salvation Army for the 2nd time that day, for this frame.

What did we make this into, you ask!?







































Happy 17 Weeks, Holly-pop! I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment