Friday, July 5, 2013

One of these things is not like the other...


As we begin our spare bedroom-turned office transformation, my jewelry armoire (a 25.00 craigslist steal from a few years ago) needed to move into the master bedroom. The problem: 1990's honey oak. It hurts my eyes. I apologize to all of you natural wood lovers, there is just something about it that gives me the heebs....

Now, let me clear up any mis-conceptions--I may have a plethora of furniture painting tips on my pinterest boards, but that is by no means a reflection of the amount of furniture transforming I've done thus far. The thought of ACTUALLY refinishing furniture is a little intimidating. My goal was to re-create the smooth pottery-barn black of our dresser. The trick--THIS little magic roller. Made specifically for painting cabinetry, this roller creates a factory finish with very little effort. Without it, I don't think I would have stood a chance. The best part: it cost less than 3.00.


After taking out all of the little compartments, it made the perfect cubby for a little visitor:

I used Rust-oleum gray primer, which covered well and dried quickly. By the time I was done priming the whole thing, it was already fully dry and ready to paint.

From there, I color matched the black paint from our dresser in Behr brand paint, and got to work.



I decided to leave the pulls in their original state; they were a pretty close match to the pulls on our dresser, so I seized the opportunity to save myself some time and money. 




No comments:

Post a Comment