Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Chalkboard Love

I have a serious love of chalkboard art....as such, I have had the extreme privilege to be an intimate part of one of my best friends' pregnancies through the art of chalk.

You may remember a post in mid-2012 where I talked about the chalkboard I'd be doing for my friend, Holly's pregnancy. I found a $6.00 oil painting at Salvation Army, painted the frame, chalked over the painting, and went to work. Every single week of my friends pregnancy, we worked together to create a fun chalk-board themed drawing. Not all of the weeks were "blow your mind", but we kept reminding ourselves that "They can't all be awesome!" LOL. As crazy as it seems, we're coming up on one year ago this May when we started this crazy chalkboard journey together. I started to reflect on this tonight....It squished Holly & I together each week for that 9 months-ish...it didn't matter how busy, tired, un-showered, sick, hungry, or sad we were, we made sure that each week, we met up to work on the board. Holly would inspire, and I'd draw and erase a hundred times, and we'd finally come up with something good for that week of pregnancy. As I'd draw, we'd share funny stories, giggle, sing along to old '90's favorites, talk about pregnancy "firsts", cry about frustrating life circumstances, challenge each other spiritually, ect. I will never forget the time we got to share together weekly, and how a simple chalkboard allowed me to spend one of the most important times in my friend's life with her.

Ms. Emma is 4 months old this month, and Im so thankful that we've gotten to continue our "board-bonding". Ive continued to make chalkboards, now monthly, as Emma grows each month of this first year. I have to admit, it will be bittersweet when Emma turns one and the board gets retired. Either way, I am eternally grateful for the special bond formed with Holly and now Emma throughout this last year, and it will be an experience I never forget! 

"HI FRIEND!"
Photo Courtesy Sara Nebel Photography









Preview of month 4:

Interesting in purchasing your own chalk-board prints? Message me for details! I'd love to work with you! chellejo@gmail.com 






No comments:

Post a Comment